My first knitting class FLEW.BY. I had a great time meeting the other women in the class (mostly middle-aged), learning my first stitches (knit purl knit purl), and of course, buying stuff (ok, not that much stuff because I'm broke)! Trust me, I was shocked when the girls started talking about vajazzling, but right then and there I knew I was at my knitting home away from home. I couldn't help but agree when one of them shouted, "This ain't your mommas knitting class!" You bet it ain't. My mom would actually probably enjoy this knitting class.
So, my family likes to a) craft and b) not throw things away. So when I went to this first knitting class, I had a few skeins of yarn that I had found in a bag, probably from a failed attempt to knit when my sister or I were younger. I also had some crappy straight needles, which I used to create my first project: a cozy for my kindle 3! It's a modified pattern from ravelry because they wanted me to learn how to knit on straights before I moved on to circulars. One week and this bad boy was off the needles.
![]() |
| This pattern started off as the "MONSTER" kindle case, because it looked like it was nomming your kindle. But mine turned out too cuddly to be called a monster, so we call it Cozy. |

I learned how to cast on and off, pick up dropped stitches, and work with 3 strands at once (the pattern called for bulky yarn but I only had worsted). Sewed up the side and bottom with a button hook, I learned how to knit and purl this kindle cozy in garter and stockinette stitch.
It was featured on the LYS's ta-da tuesday and yeah, I'll admit it. I felt special.

Hi Jamie!
ReplyDeleteYour kindle cozy is very cute!
I found your blog from ravelry 20-something group. I'm in a similar program to you (physical therapy) in the sense that it gets very stressful. I have found that knitting has proved to be a great stress reliever but sometimes I actually have to lock it away because it becomes a bit of a distraction!
I blog a bit over at kerryellenlakin.blogspot.com if you'd like to check it out. I'm excited to hear about your knitting achievements!
-Kerry
New follower! I learned to knit in November and also started a blog! I love your Kindle cozy! I'm going to go back and read your other posts. Here's my blog address if you're interested: piecesofnicole.blogspot.com I don't blog as often as I should, but I'm getting better at doing it more often.
ReplyDeleteHey, thanks for following guys! When I started this, I was worried I was just sending my thoughts and projects into a blank internet vortex, but I'm glad you have found my blog and subscribed :) This makes me excited to continue!
ReplyDeleteKerryellen: do you have a kindle? If only we could multitask- knitting while studying/reading while exercising, and we'd have plenty of time to relax! I'll go check out your blog now!
Nicole: I'm think that knowing people read what you write will help motivate. I'll read your blog! Heading over there after I check out kerryellens. :)